Fish Farm Visit – Selangor Branch
Date : Saturday, 1 September 2018
Time : 7.30am – 1.00pm
Meeting point : South Port Passenger Terminal, Pelabuhan Klang (GPS: 2.998736, 101.391565) or Waze: South Port Passenger Terminal
Cost: RM50 per pax including insurance, boat ride & SIG marine fund
Maximum number of pax: 20
Closing date: 26th August 2018
Description of the Trip
According to the U.N.’s Food and Agriculture Organisation, the share of fish stocks within biologically sustainable levels decreased from 90% in 1974 to 68.6% in 2013. The remaining 31.4% of fish stocks are estimated to be at a biologically unsustainable level.
So are we overfishing to an extent that fishes are not given enough time to grow and reproduce? Is aquaculture a solution to declining fish stock? Come find out during the fish farm visit.
With the permission of WWF-Malaysia, Marine SIG will be bringing only 20 members to one of the fish farms that participates in WWF-Malaysia’s Aquaculture Improvement Projects (AIP). This project is basically a step wise approach in improving aquaculture practices to be more environmentally friendly while ensuring that the business continue to thrives. In this tour, we will learn more about:
- What is environmentally friendly aquaculture or Responsible Aquaculture practices.
- The difference between a conventional (typical fish farm in Malaysia) and an AIP farm.
- Why the need for farms in Malaysia to change towards responsible aquaculture practices. You may bring a cooler box if you would like to buy some groupers or pompanos after the tour in the farm.
You may bring a cooler box if you would like to buy some groupers or pompanos after the tour in the farm.
Kindly whatsapp Grace Chin at 012-3274887 for the space availability or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org for enquiries.
To register, please fill in the form https://goo.gl/forms/vhZiFM29oHZB1Eda2.
If you are registering for your family member(s), please fill in the google form for everyone.
Please make payment to:
Malaysian Nature Society Selangor Branch
Maybank account: 014150307352
Reference no: FFV
Payment must be made within 48 hours after the submission of the google form. A copy of the bank-in slip or payment receipt must be emailed to email@example.com to secure a place.