Pulau Ketam WOW Project
WIPE OUT WASTE (WOW) PROJECT IN PULAU KETAM
Wipe Out Waste (WOW) Project has started since 2015 in Pulau Ketam, and there are a range of programmes have been carried out, for example, Wipe Out Waste Programme – our annual programme, Nature Guide programme, and many environmental awareness activities. We will continue to conduct more environmental education and awareness programmes to reach out to more local villagers as well as public regarding waste management issues in Malaysia, especially in Pulau Ketam.
Pulau Ketam is a small island located off the coast of Port Klang, Selangor and was founded circa 1880. The island is easily accessible from Port Klang jetty by ferry. On the island are ‘floating houses’, perched on wooden stilts 1 to 10 metres above sea level.
Pulau Ketam is one of those sleepy little Malaysian islands whose inhabitants enjoy the simplicity inherent to most island communities. At first glance the ramshackle waterfront township appears to be standing on its very last stilts as the paint slowly peels under the tropical sun and time lapses by. A township renown for fresh seafood, especially its namesake crab (ketam). The island’s villages of Kampung Pulau Ketam and Kampung Sungai Lima primarily derive their living from the sea as well as tourism.
However, management of solid waste is of growing concern to the local authorities, local communities, tourists and business communities in Pulau Ketam.
The problem is exacerbating in Pulau Ketam due to lack of public awareness, training, insufficient funds and improper infrastructure have resulted in a poor state of solid waste management.
Accumulation of solid waste in open areas is an eyeshore, diminishing ecotourism value, a breeding ground for insects and other vectors (rat and mice and as well as humans who may come in contact with contaminated wastes). It also causes odour nuisance, reflects the unorganized nature of the community and creates a poor environment for growing children and tourists.
Improper and unorganized disposal of solid waste in open areas and into the sea have a negative impact on the living conditions of human being as well as the overall environment. It results in spread of communicable and non-communicable diseases among human being and animals, thus affecting the livelihood, economic productivity and eco-tourism activities. In addition, it causes contamination of surface water, ground water and generation of toxic and green-house gases. However, using adequate information, resources and efficient management practices, one can turn solid waste into useful resources.
And these are the reasons why we initiate WOW project in Pulau Ketam with the project aim and objectives stated below, that we are struggling to achieve.
Definition of Solid Waste Management
Solid waste management is an organized process of storage, collection, transportation, processing and disposal of solid refuse residuals in an engineered sanitary landfill. It is an integrated process comprising several collection methods, varied transportation equipment storage, recovery mechanisms for recyclable material, reduction of waste volume and quantity by methods such as composting and disposal in a designated engineered sanitary landfill.
The selection of a suitable solid waste management process driven by the source and quality of waste produced. Solid waste is generated from a number of sources which include households (kitchen and yards), commercial areas (shops, restaurants and hotels), institutions (schools, hospitals and offices), construction and demolition sites, parks (fallen branches and leaves from the trees) and streets (sand, concrete and bricks).
Project Aim & Objective
- To produce the local communities and students with an environmental education, adopting a critical attitude towards the problem of waste which can deteriorate quality of life.
- To establish a pool of dedicated and trained working group volunteers to conduct composting and recycling programmes at Pulau Ketam.
- To carry out different waste recycling project operations, promoting the project within the community by inviting community and students to get involved in this worthwhile task.
- To build partnerships among focus group; local government authorities, corporate, NGO’s and local communities
Nature Guide Pulau Ketam Project
As part of WOW project, in the Nature Guide Pulau Ketam Project, we train the Pulau Ketam teenagers and slowly turn them becoming local nature guides on ecotourism activities in Pulau Ketam.
This project starts on October 2018 with objectives:
- to foster senses of appreciation, caring and love to the environment of their home town,
- to raise their awareness on environmental and waste management issues,
- to empower the local community, especially the teenagers, and
- to build and raise confidence of the teenagers in handling activities that involve tourists and public.
At the same time, we engaged Orang Asli from Kampung Sungai Dua as our boatman in the activities.
Activities that conduct by the Nature Guide:
- Mangrove river cruise
- Bird watching
Activities with MNS in Pulau Ketam
We offer a series of educational and voluntary activities in Pulau Ketam, as listed below:
- Mangrove tree planting / Seeding / Nursery maintenance / Tree measurement
- Clean-up (Gotong-royong)
- Bird watching
- Mangrove river cruise
- Explorace activity
WOW Project Video:
- English version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14ofDIdXLbB79ksB0tiyLzJ8-ge2zSOth/view?usp=sharing
- Malay version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17mPlEu-cGdn_wnggS5T5_oyAUf9bltJo/view?usp=sharing
- Chinese version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b-10WZbGiPMNup3oaZBlv29DwcGttrfP/view?usp=sharing
WOW Project Fact Sheet:
- English version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19t8qzLrdz9Y6-il9q-skzkE960ZRT218/view?usp=sharing
- Malay version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C553Llv2vK0C9SDnFK4FoMsil0CQWSmK/view?usp=sharing
- Chinese version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14stwBUelA3Qij9GKoHO3WUJSWQcaeass/view?usp=sharing
WOW Project Modules – Nature Guide Module
- English version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kfqhvpCoazuRWEUQsGDG_esAaoPBwnMH/view?usp=sharing
- Malay version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IJXjWq-gN5fFWslGkv3UVX0Dugg0z9H1/view?usp=sharing
- Chinese version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DQTLDp9PYCobAv9JxvT9Phw4GSMHsNlt/view?usp=sharing
WOW Project Modules – Mangrove
- English version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s4evKyNb_Oi9FDLxVVx6f3qQNqwA-Eyj/view?usp=sharing
- Malay version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HXuawbNOnnN0IPQlx8DV4t_67askr72b/view?usp=sharing
- Chinese version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16PzNFiGwFFxB9d8GZRidrT7rDDpIol3_/view?usp=sharing
WOW Project Modules – Birdwatching
WOW Project Modules – Plastic Waste Management
- English version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_oul4v9QKYrLP2z_qOp7_2VADePPWKCF/view?usp=sharing
- Malay version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N0UhT67iTG8L7VeqhukOX5H6S2b2CwBJ/view?usp=sharing
- Chinese version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HsUYwuUph4on0gnbgBjGLLrsDVEpUJQi/view?usp=sharing
Wipe Out Waste (WOW) Project
Malaysian Nature Society (MNS)
JKR 641, Jalan Kelantan,
50480 Kuala Lumpur
Email : email@example.com
Tel: (60)3 2287 9422
Wipe Out Waste (WOW) Project is a partnership between Malaysian Nature Society and Coca-Cola Malaysia.
This project is fully funded by The Coca-Cola Foundation.